The SULA Semester
The SULA Semester is a one-semester, career-oriented program that provides students with a unique opportunity to take entertainment industry-related academic courses while working part time as interns at a vast array of media companies. "The students interact with some of the top professionals in the entertainment industry and can try their hand at living and working in Los Angeles with a support system in place to help them," says Robin Forman Howard, SULA Semester program director.
The heart of our program is our dedicated faculty, all of whom are highly talented professionals. They bring their knowledge, insight and enthusiasm for teaching to class every day. They are dedicated to preparing our students for a professional life beyond college.
Notable SU Alumni in Los Angeles
The soul of the SULA Semester belongs to our passionate alumni who generously give of their time to support our program by advising us as part of our Regional Council, as well as agreeing to be guest speakers and panelists. They also share their professional knowledge with our students on a one-to-one basis when they participate in our “mentor” program. Notable Syracuse University alumni include:
- Jason Blumenthal ’90, Partner/Producer, Escape Artists
- Angela Bundrant-Turner ’89, VP/Affiliate Marketing, Revolt TV
- Sean Carey ’89, VP Content Acquisition, Netflix, Inc.
- Jack Dytman ’71, Partner and SVP, The Gersh Agency
- Brian Frons G’78, Consultant, Frons Consulting, LLC.
- Marylyn Ginsburg-Klaus ’56, ’57, Owner, Grand House Management
- Andrew Gumpert ’89, President of Worldwide Business Affairs, Columbia Pictures
- George Hicker ’68, Founder and President, Cardinal Industrial
- Rob Light ’78, Managing Partner/Head of Music, Creative Artists Agency
- Chris McGurk ’78, Chairman of the Board & Chief Executive Officer, Cinedigm
- Marty Muller ’80, SVP Global Marketing, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
- Diane Nelson ’89, President, DC Entertainment
- Meredith Roberts ’88, SVP/GM, DisneyToon Studios
- Doug Robinson ’85, Partner, Happy Madison Productions
- Fred Silverman ’58, Producer, The Fred Silverman Company
- Aaron Sorkin ’83, H’12, Academy Award winning writer
- Lynne Spillman ’90, Casting Director, “Survivor,” “The Amazing Race”
- Danny Zuker ’86, Executive Producer, “Modern Family”
Internships in Los Angeles
At the core of our program are academics, internships, and special events. Through internships, students are provided the opportunity to gain real life experience in a professional setting. We have been able to secure internship opportunities for our students at major studios, talent agencies, management companies, talk shows, animation studios, music publishing companies, record labels, multi-channel networks, casting departments, feature film and television production companies, post-production houses, marketing departments, sports venues, and television networks. Students schedule their 18 to 24 internship hours a week around classes offered Monday through Thursday. Most classes are held at the SULA Center in Sherman Oaks, however students also have the unique opportunity to take classes in other professional environments.
LA has more to offer
The SULA Semester also provides our students with one of kind invitations to alumni social and networking events, TV show tapings, awards shows, industry events, film screenings, class trips and cultural activities in Los Angeles. This approach provides students with an enriched, rewarding and fruitful semester. SULA Semester graduates say the program is one of the best experiences of their college life!